Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Sony HD Cam to Dvcpro HD

COW Forums : AJA Kona - Mac

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Peter McAuleySony HD Cam to Dvcpro HD
by on Oct 30, 2005 at 4:44:08 pm

I'm offlining a short film that was recorded 23.98psf on a Panasized Sony F900. ( The Primo zooms and primes by the way look fantastic). I'm trying to figure out my picture workflow. I have a Kona 2 withe the layest drivers and you can see my other stats below. I'll becoming out of the back of the HDW-F500 Cine alta at 23.98psf HD SDI into the primary input on the Kona 2. My intial thought was to use the DVCPro HD 720p 23.98 dvcpro HD codec, which I think is around 5.7 megs a second. I feel I could handle that for the amount of storage I have for the project. But it turns out that according to AJA support I can only use the 1080 23.98psf DvcPro HD codec. I got that to work all right but at 11.3 megs a second it's a little steep for my storage requirements for nthe amount of footage I have. According to AJA I can down convert to 525i29.97 out to my sdi monitor once the 1080 23.98psf i Dvc pro HD footage is in, but I can't transcode the 1080p to 720p at the time of capture. Is this really the case or am I missing something here. What is everybody else using to offline HD Cam at 23.98? I mean the obvious thing to do is do the down conversion at the deck to 525i 29.97 and then just capture dv or something. but then i'll have pulldowns and my edl won't be accurate to the frame when I later converet it to do the online in the Inferno. What ever happen to Qrez? Fortunately I have lots of time and want to figure out a good offline workflow. Any Thought would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers
Peter McAuley
Axyz Edit
Toronto

Peter McAuley
Axyz Edit
Toronto
G5 dual 2.0
4 gigs ram
FCP 5.02
QT 7.03
Kona 2 v1.1.4 with K Box