Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Batch capture from J-H3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark RaudonisRe: Batch capture from J-H3
by on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:54:14 pm

Chris,

We have that deck (JH-3) and I've witnessed the same kind of "klunky" behavior. Compare that deck to an SRW-5500 for example and the difference in performance is noticable. So is the price! However, I don't think it's the deck's fault.

FCP's deck driving protocol is nowhere near Avid's. Period. Specifically when navigating timecode breaks... FCP takes up to 3 minutes to find the new clip and move on. I know. I've timed it.

Since we ONLY use TOD code, this can triple the time it takes to digitize a tape. Our only hope is to throw multiple systems at the problem, trying to keep up with production.

For what it's worth.... if you want to baby sit the deck during digitizing this may help: When it goes into fast rewind looking for code, just hit the "stop" button on the deck. This will "wake up" FCP and get it going in the right direction. If you don't do that, I've found that it will rewind ALL the way back to the begining, fast forward back to where it came from and THEN try to lock up. On a long tape, this can take quite some time.

Good luck.

Mark

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]