Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: DVCPRO Workflow, (Varicam)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

e laineRe: DVCPRO Workflow, (Varicam)
by on Nov 30, 2006 at 6:39:06 pm

Thanks guys for responding to my post and the CC magazine tip. Great issue. I definitely fall in the camp of AVID editors who are new to HD and 24p. I cut with SONY HD on avid (at a facility), but it is an entirely dift workflow. Also, the last doc I cut on FCP - aside from small side projects - was version 1.2. And finally, I have not worked within a film workflow for many years. So, I really want to research a smart work flow that - once we get to post - i can focus on my edit and not a barrage of avoidable tech issues.

As to your feedback - I'm still concerned about "offlining" online quality as my project will likely have upwards of 200 hours of footage. Will my laptop (G4 Powerbook - OSX 10.4.7; 1 gig memory; FCP 5.02) be able to handle all of this HD footage? Another issue is storage space - I'd prefer not to work off of a RAID as I may need to travel with my system. Can I really get by with firewire drives? I'm considering G-Tech drives.... any thoughts? recommendations? Should I be concerned about loading from a deck connected by Firewire and saving to an external drive simultaneously? I've heard, from AVID at least, that this could be a problem on a laptop with one bus. Of course, people do it all the time... And last, what is the most affordable deck to rent that can load via firewire (not record) from DVCProHD tape recorded with Varicam?

If we were to conform uncompressed, what systems would you recommend to avoid sych issues and EDL nightmares?

With your VariCam projects, do you stay in 24p the whole time? What is the best HD format/frame rate to master that will give me the best quality and flexibility when I do my European (textless) dubs and SD (textless) downconverts. We will not have a broadcaster until after post begins.

Thanks again for your insights. As you may have guesssed, we also don't have a DP locked in.

Thanks for helping out someone who is pretty green when it comes to FCP and 24p.

Best,
-e.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]