Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Att: Graeme, Walter, et al - HDV/DVCPRO Workflow, etc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Graeme NattressRe: Att: Graeme, Walter, et al - HDV/DVCPRO Workflow, etc
by on Nov 26, 2006 at 4:38:33 pm

REDCODE is unbelievably nice :-) But it's quite different and very modern in how it works. It's a quality-first format that's designed for camera and editing. And that's the other issue - working with compression and super-high quality ultra-high definition sources warps you. What was once great quality HD is now "what's that - it looks like VHS". I remember when I first taped a programme off the TV onto VHS, and upon playback it looked "perfect". I couldn't see the loss in quality we can all now see quite clearly. And then Laserdisc was perfect, and now, to some people, DVD is perfect, and HD is just the bees knees. And now I'm actively involved in ultra-high definition, and that resets your own internal picture quality calibration yet again. It raises the bar of perfection one step further (actually, more than one step further).

So probably not to ask me about HD or SD compression any more, as I've moved on to a new level of quality. Best thing to do is to do the workflow test yourself - from source, through edit, to master and viewing, and perhaps make a MPEG2 of it to simulate what broadcast will look like.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]