Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Ripping a dvd for FCPX editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark SuszkoRe: Ripping a dvd for FCPX editing
by on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:06:36 pm

Michael:

Every station has differing requirements. You'll want to call their traffic department or the engineer's office to get the specs, because I find the sales guys at stations usually don't know this stuff.

If you have real scopes, use them as you do your edit. Otherwise, use the virtual scopes that come with FCP to monitor video levels. You can try to cheat and use the broadcast safe filter, but that's not always good enough. Audio wise, the requirements vary as well, I usually keep my peaks at minus 12 Db and that seems to work locally. You must check with the station to see what they want, and if they want steero, mono, surround, closed captions, etc.

You will want to try and send the finished spot using FTP upload directly to the station, or to a service that mass-distributes spots to stations like DGit.com or pathfire. Those places will usually accept a file burned to a DVD data disk or blu-ray disk, (typically an mov h.264 file) as well as tape, and they will then do any further conversion for you, but usually someone has to pay for that, and, most editors prefer to have more direct control over their product than to hand it off to others to change levels, etc.

Be ready for a few rejections at first, until you figure it all out.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]