Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: HDV footage Color Correction to look 70s style

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew RendellRe: HDV footage Color Correction to look 70s style
by on Aug 8, 2012 at 9:40:16 am

One thing that comes to mind is that studio shots never matched the outside stuff.

For studio, very flat blanket lighting. They did use 3 point lighting but the fill would be so high that you'd hardly tell. Direct colour recording - Quad was actually very sharp in the luminance channel, but softening the chrominance and adding a little YC Delay would add some period vibe. A bit of comet-tailing on highlights would be a nice touch and some microphony on loud noises (watch what happens to the picture when an explosion happens on set during Tom Baker era Dr Who or Blake's 7 to see what those effects are/were).

Outside it was routinely pretty crappy 16mm reversal. Soft and low res, frequently with a slight green cast, grain, dirt and slight cratches, but all that soft as well (early telecines were pretty soft even if the film itself was sharp). Quite a lot of gate weave and vertical jitters on cuts (tape joins, they were never cement joined in a lab).

Am I giving away my age here? I remember the stuff that Look Around You is spoofing from my childhood and actually started as a trainee at the BBC in the '80s, just when technology was making a big leap, but there was still some of the old kit around (2" Quad VTRs, twin lens telecines, etc).

You can get the general low contrast/low saturation with the 3 way colour corrector, but I'd go to bad tv and bad film effects myself.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]