Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Log and Transfer - H.264 5D Mkii footage on external hard drive to AppleProRes 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread


Hunter LeachmanLog and Transfer - H.264 5D Mkii footage on external hard drive to AppleProRes 422
by on May 9, 2012 at 11:10:09 pm

H.264 files organized in folders by shoot location on external hard drive, fw800.

Some fail "no data" little stop sign.

Even worse though, some said complete but only converted arbitrary amount of clip.

In/outs were not the issue.

I was logging the clips as follows:
Reel: shoot location
name: location001, location002, etc.

After I noticed some of the clips failed to fully convert, I went back to add them to queue again and FC started giving them the names location00x, whatever the next unused number was, ignoring the name I originally gave it. Then other times it would reprocess under the same name. Some of the footage would transfer and some wouldn't. Sometimes the clips would fail lock, stock, and barrel. Other times the clips would say it transferred completely, but the clip would end before it was suppose to. Before I knew it, the whole thing turned into one big swampy mess.

Tried the 5DMkii plug-in, but most footage had been taken off the CF cards long ago. Would have reorganized under mock folders, but it was just trading up for an even bigger mess at that point as about 85% of the footage did transfer fine.

It was only about 7 hours of footage for the entire project, which eventually boiled down to 45 minutes of selects. I shot the footage myself so I was able to just go back and view the raw footage outside of FC and look for anything I needed then go back and find it based off the picture alone, as by this time the names had been shuffled into some incoherent mess. After abandoning all hopes of organization, I just held Final Cut at gun point and force fed it the clips I still needed, just letting it name the files whatever the hell it wanted, sometimes taking several attempts for clips to transfer properly.

The first lesson I learned here is to just get the footage straight off the cards next time, but that ship had sailed long ago in this case. The thing that perplexes me about this is that it didn't just fail or work but seemed to do one or the other arbitrarily, although I have to think there must be a human error or that nice new incurable disease they call "Lion".

The brute force method worked this time, but on a bigger project this could have been a complete disaster. Not so concerned about fixing the problem per se at this point. Just really want to know, where did I go so wrong? Anybody have a more elegant method? Can I just go back to Premiere now without people turning their nose up at it?

Again the problem:

5Dmkii (H.264) footage on external hard drive ---->Final Cut Pro 6 -----> ProRes422

About 85% clips transfer fine, 5% fail outright, 10% say completed, but are partial clips.
All eventually convert successfully, but not in any organized way that would have been coherent to an outside viewer.


If you have any wise words for the ignorant, please feel free to enlighten.

-Hunter

Final Cut 6

iMac10,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
3.06 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz


Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook


Current Message Thread:




LOGIN TO REPLY



FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]