Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Different aspect ratios in the same sequence?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Neil PatienceRe: Different aspect ratios in the same sequence?
by on May 1, 2012 at 2:04:32 am

Putting SD 4:3 into and HD sequence is always a huge compromise in terms of quality and the composition of the 4:3 shots.

The options are to use the whole 4:3 frame, which obviously leaves black bars right/left.

I have seen people use a graphic background to fill in the sides instead of black, or even use the same shot stretched, defocussed and darkened or treated as a background. (which I think can look ugly but thats purely a matter of taste and depends on the material)

The next option then is to further zoom into the 4:3, losing the top/bottom in order to fill the HD frame.

But given you have already zoomed into the SD just to get it to HD, further size increases are really going to affect the way it looks.

It also compromises the composition of the shots as you have to lose some combination of the top/bottom of the shot.

As I said its all a compromise but you just have to experiment a little depending on your style of programme and the quality of the uprez.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]