Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Canon 5D Workflow documentary: h.264 -> hdv to edit in

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Hypatia PorterCanon 5D Workflow documentary: h.264 -> hdv to edit in
by on Apr 22, 2012 at 11:06:10 pm

Hello!

I am about to begin editing my first feature-length documentary in FCP, and am concerned that I'm going to make crucial mistakes in setting up our workflow because I'm so inexperienced. If you guys can have a look at my proposed workflow, and throw out any advice, that would be immensely helpful.

This is a low-budget film shot on a Canon 5D. We currently have about 40 hours of footage, I'd estimate 1/3 of it is usable. More footage will be shot and added to what we have, we'll be shooting and editing simutaineously. I have been given harddrives of footage, in it's native H.264. I know that it's most often recommended to transcode this footage directly to Apple Pro Res, but that is impractical for us both space and time-wise (did I mention low budget?)

Instead, it was suggested that we transcode the footage into Apple HDV (mpeg2), which cuts the file size almost in half and edit in that. Once the project is complete, we'd relink it back to H.264, and then transcode that final piece to Apple Pro Res. Our goal is to submit this to festivals.

Is this the best route to go?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]