Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: ProRes 422 or HDV 1080/60i?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dave LaRondeRe: ProRes 422 or HDV 1080/60i?
by on Apr 18, 2012 at 6:53:51 pm

[Jim Murphy] "Should I capture in the HDV 1080/60i setting or should I use Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) setting?"

Neither of the above. Regular old ProRes 422 -- the non-HQ version -- is ideal for you. HQ gives you precisely zero additional image quality. HQ files are significantly bigger, and if large file size is your goal, you should pursue it.

[Jim Murphy] "Which is better?"

Hands-down it's ProRes 422. The reason: the image quality holds up when re-rendered, and HDV does not. HDV is very lossy and should only be considered as an acquisition codec. Since you don't reveal your normal workflow, I'm coming down on the side of preserving image quality.

[Jim Murphy] "if I do use the HDV 1080/60 setting for my captures, should I also set my Sequences to HDV 1080/60 or would it be better to set the Sequences to Prores?"

ProRes. The reason: any necessary rendering of the timeline is done the timeline's codec, and ProRes is far better for that based on the reasons above.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]