Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Does FCP degrade 10 bit files/clips?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David SmithDoes FCP degrade 10 bit files/clips?
by on Aug 4, 2011 at 12:30:33 am

I'm not sure if this is troubling or if I just don't know how to export from FCP correctly.

I created a new Project in FCP: 10 bit uncompressed.

I then created a black to white gradient: The "A" button in the bottom right of the viewer > Render > Gradient. I now have a 10 second black to white gradient in my viewer WITH NO BANDING (at first I thought this was strange because I was on my cheaper, DVI, user interface monitor - but then I thought I was in B&W - with no color).

I then dragged the clip to the timeline. The same clip in the canvas window now has A LOT OF BANDING. OK, well it needs to play in real time right?.

So I then exported the clip 2 different ways. Once using "current settings" and once using "uncompressed 10 bit".

I then imported the clip and put in in my viewer. Now THERE IS BANDING IN THE VIEWER"?????????????

I can only think that 1 of 3 things may be happening.

1) I don't know how to export a clip correctly.

2) FCP processing is degrading the image... quite a lot.

3) Or when it exports it actually is converting it "in color" even thought it still looks B&W. (Could someone with a 10 bit monitor test this?)

I did import the clip to Resolve and on my 10 bit monitor I see the banding...

What do you all think of this? I heard that FCP can import 10 bit but when it does processing, it can only do it in 8 bit. Although I'm not sure why that would effect this here since it's luminance only.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]