Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Workflow: Pluraleyes + FCP + 5D + H4N - Overambitious?

COW Forums : PluralEyes

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kai CheongWorkflow: Pluraleyes + FCP + 5D + H4N - Overambitious?
by on Dec 28, 2010 at 3:02:33 pm

When we got our 5D setup, which was soon followed by the H4N, the next piece we bought to complete the puzzle was Pluraleyes. It has served me very well on syncing interviews, soundbites and music videos.

But I've run into some problems and I wonder if it's a shortcoming of the application OR a problem with my [overambitious?] workflow.

We shot 2 x 32GB cards full of footage on a 5D. Drama/re-enactment scenes. Soundman recorded audio via H4N. What I'd attempted was to plonk an entire card's worth [about 2h 20min for 1 day] of footage onto the sequence and the corresponding day's H4N files and activated Pluraleyes. Formats matched - 48k/16kHz.

It took about 4.5 hours to finish churning [I had to do this twice, so it took more than 8 hours, since FCP crashed when Pluraleyes was trying to sync things after analyzing the first time].

Results were unfortunately dismal. I probably got 60%-70% sync at best. There were a lot of 'orphaned' footage/audio or plain mismatched ones. Not looking forward to manually drudging through and syncing the rest tomorrow.

I've begun an overnight sync of the next day's footage using the same method - except I turned on 'try really hard' on Pluraleyes this time. This is really gonna take a while.

Looking for advice on using Pluraleyes for 5D-H4N projects where there are many scenes/shots. Do I need to manually break down the footage/audio into smaller scenes and sync each scene separately? Are there any instructions I need to give my crew so that I get easier-to-use material? I've already learned through the hard way that when recording an interview, it's better to just let the H4N run even though there are breaks between questions.

Kai
FCP Editor / Producer with Intuitive Films
http://kai-fcp-editor.blogspot.com
--
Now 'LIVE'! Check Out The Intuitive Films Blog @ http://intuitive-films.blogspot.com
At Intuitive Films, We Create: TV Commercials, Documentaries, Corporate Videos and Feature Films
Visit us @ http://www.intuitivefilms.com
--
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM | FCP 5.1.4 | Mac OS X 10.5.7

8-Core Intel Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8GB RAM | FCP 6.0.6 | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 3.0TB CalDigit VR | 2 x 24" Dell S2409W

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]