Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Questions - Soundtrack Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rob GrauertRe: Questions - Soundtrack Pro
by on Aug 3, 2010 at 4:58:10 pm

I'm not an audio expert, but I may be able to help.

"When do you normalize in FCP? And how do you do it? How does John do it, the same way? "

I believe the point of normalization is to bring the loudest sound up to a desired level. So if you're audio is low, and the loudest sound is at -20dB, maybe you want to normalize it to -6dB. You can do this to a large number of clips so that they all peak at the same level.

How to do it? Select the audio clip, Modify > Audio > Apply Normalization Gain

"When do you normalize in STP? And when you do, what “db” do you use to normalize it to?"

It's the same concept concept as FCP. You're raising the audio levels of clips so they all peak at the same level. As for when to do it? It's the first thing I do. Then I do Compressor/Limiter, noise reduction, high pass and low pass filters, and EQ.

Do you automatically take out certain aspects of audio even before you begin editing, or do you work on audio more after you lock down the rough?

I do audio after I'm done cutting the story together. Picture should be locked before you do audio

Do you use any of the pop, click, or DC offset filters, and if so, how strict are you on those?

I've used the pops/clicks filter before. It works Ok. I've never used the other ones before though. Not for any particular reason. I just don't think I ever needed 'em. I'd read the manual and see what they're for if you're interested.

Hope that helps some.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • Questions - Soundtrack Pro by Tom Laughlin on Aug 3, 2010 at 4:13:49 pm
    • Re: Questions - Soundtrack Pro by Rob Grauert on Aug 3, 2010 at 4:58:10 pm

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]