Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: What to use ProRes or ProRes HQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael GissingRe: What to use ProRes or ProRes HQ
by on Aug 3, 2010 at 3:21:39 am

Like all these techno nerd debates over numbers, the forgotten element is what does it look like. I recently bought a 5Dmk2 (and it wasn't just to annoy Dave LaRonde). It was because I had a need for a camera that gave me pictures at a price point that is staggering. I bought it because I got sick of waiting for the RED Scarlet and I had a project to get on with. With help from companies like Zacuto, I am able to make the 5D act and behave a bit like a video camera. I am shooting mostly tripod, exterior in a cool climate so hand held ergonomics, overheating, maximum 12 minute shots and clunky exposure adjustment don't matter.

I convert the h264 to ProRes422, not HQ because on my monitor and in my experience it doesn't improve the picture to go HQ. I grade docos all the time with Color so I am used to seeing HDV, XDCam, DVCProHD, HDCam and a bit of RED go through the important post stages. Everything ends up being rendered as ProRes422 in Color because my typical experience is to deliver to broadcasters.

Where does the Canon sit for me? Above HDV and XDCam, comparable to HDCam and below RED. But most importantly is the actual photography, the lenses and the end result graded on screen. With a lot of mpeg based long gop codecs being commonly used, I will continue to use ProRes422 and not care about the sub sampling characteristics, because it is more important to frame, light and shoot with good lenses.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]