Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: What to use ProRes or ProRes HQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: What to use ProRes or ProRes HQ
by on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:46:55 am

[Dennis Couzin] "Gary, what's getting silly is that two men pictured side-by-side over the Creative Cow FCP forum gave opposite answers to the simple question: "Is the RGB really subsampled 4:2:0?" and no one notices."

Hey Dennis, I'm not perfect and I don't work for Canon so I'm not 100% positive. I am wrong about things all of the time. I am human and not a robot, I am constantly learning in this constantly new, constantly changing business. I am an editor and not a compression engineer. Since this implementation of h264 was designed to go straight to the web, I don't see why or how it would be a YUV (or whatever) file. Computer monitors usually work in RGB, am I wrong? This is a still camera that shoots RGB pictures, HDMI can send an RGB signal (as well as YUV), the 1080p files from Canon cameras are tiny, add all of those up, and I don't see how these .movs can be anything else but a subsampled and highly compressed RGB Long GOP h264 file. The camera may capture and subsample in YUV, but converts to RGB upon compression. As far as the file being 601, that is something that I have no idea about and that Gary must have learned on his travels. Again, it's a bit baffling and maybe an error on Canon's part, but what the hell do I know? Only what I know.

Gary and I know each other. We chat offline and run in to each other, we live in the same city, and actually the same neighborhood. But this does not mean we both know the same things. Gary has been around longer than I and has studied video at a level that I never have. As far as no one noticing, I guess they don't care as much, and I don't mean that in a bad way. They are probably editing, and not thinking about this stuff. Good on them. It is not my intention to mislead, as a matter of fact it is the opposite. All of my time here is donated. Free. Gratis. For someone who makes money from being on the clock, this is something I take seriously. If I make a mistake, I admit it, learn, and move on. Sorry if I have somehow mislead you and sorry for making any mistakes. It's not intentional.

The Canon HDSLRs, in my opinion, are going to change the way professional camera manufactures make and design cameras if they haven't already, but there is one thing that's certain, they aren't video cameras. They just aren't, and Canon will tell you that. The images coming off of these cameras have great dynamic range, and the depth of field can be an amazing dramatic look which is attractive to the eye, but the truth of the matter is, anyone who has color corrected video before will see exactly where these images are thin and noisy. Then there's the rolling shutter, no tc, double system audio, frightful ergonomics and no real time monitoring while recording. No matter what the compression scheme, those are real life problems that are faced on a shoot. In my opinion, ProRes is totally fine for the footage as you aren't going to cover all that up with a new shiny codec with a higher data rate.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]