Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Who wants an iPad?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ben HolmesRe: Who wants an iPad?
by on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:06:53 pm

I think the possiblilities in terms of apps for our use are endless. Think of this as a $500 Cintiq or Lemur and drool...

Here's what I want (and frankly if someone else doesn't do it pronto, I'm gonna round me up some overseas coders and do it myself - so save me the bother): A FCS app - that has controls for each app.

Here's a few examples:

- Faders in the audio mixer in FCP with multitouch control. Gang/group to your hearts content.
- Virtual trackballs in Color - imagine them zooming in and out as required.
- Hotkeys as required - for switching, key combos, etc.
- Scrubbing/Scrolling etc. I'm fairly sure a circular setup would be a bit painful to use, so I'd think
instead about a linear approach, to save me waving my mouse up and down the desk.

Millions of editors using tablets instead of mice will see the potential - we just needed an accurate, affordable piece of hardware to make it work - and the iPad is said to be a very accurate touch experience.

I know of several companies using VNC software on set to send video assist to ipods and iphones for remote monitoring. I'd imagine the iPad will be snapped up for this - and could translate to facilities - Imagine being able to see what was going on in all the suite in a big edit facility.

It's clear that Apple's secrecy over the launch of this meant that developers could not really explore the full capabilites of a device with a much larger screen than the iphone. The diversity of trackpad type apps already available for this iphone, leads me to believe the above is possible, even if it's a bit of a cludge for third parties to achieve some/all of it.

I suspect that we will have to wait for Apple to bring out their own solutions for pro apps - iWork at least shows they are willing to do this. I won't hold my breath, but will cross my fingers and hope hope hope.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY