Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Choosing external hard drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Ken SummerallRe: Choosing external hard drives
by on Feb 13, 2009 at 3:22:13 pm

[Ben Lithman] "The other question i had was to do with the different RAID system 0,1,5 etc. and which one strikes the best balance with security and capacity."

Well, with RAID 0 you get speed with no protection, RAID 1 gives you a mirror image, RIAD 5 gives you speed plus protection but is more expensive, RAID 6 gives you a little less speed than RAID 5 but more protection and is more expensive.

[Ben Lithman] "Unfortunately although i would love to say that x, or y is the best option to my aboves. i have to respect that they have said "we are a start up, and need to keep costs down as much as possible""

I am thinking that you may need some hybrid of what you really want since you do not seem to have the budget for what you really want and need. My suggestion would be to buy some bare drives and install them in your Mac. I am assuming that you have a MacPro. Use those for your editing storage. You can put three more drives internally. Get an external box to use for archive only. It could be RAID 1 or RAID 5.

Your issue is that you are having to stay on a very small budget and trying to do alot with it. You may have to get creative in your workflow. While it may not be ideal, it can be done.

K

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]