Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Choosing external hard drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

walter biscardiRe: Choosing external hard drives
by on Feb 13, 2009 at 3:20:06 pm

[Ben Lithman] "Ideally i want something that may only start of with 2-3 terabytes storage for now, but that can be upgraded with relative ease. I would love something that can just act as a central storage unit for all the projects i'm working on, but that has the safety or RAID should one of the drives go, so i can just replace it. "

Look at the new Expando Chassis technology that is being used now by MaxxDigital and Dulce among others. You purchase a high speed SAS/SATA array today and run it in RAID 5 for protection in the event of a loss of a hard drive, you don't lose your data.

Then in the future when you need more storage, you purchase another SATA chassis and simply daisy chain it to the first array. We've been testing a new MaxxDigital Expando Chassis here and it will handle up to 128 drives in a chain. Currently we're running 16 drives at about 650MB/s in RAID 5. In the future when I need more storage, I order another chassis and just hang it off the back.

If you want centralized storage, like we're doing now, you can set up a MaxxDigital Final Share Server. We're setting up 6 workstations all running off GigE Ethernet . We can edit all the way up to 1080i ProRes HQ on all the systems with everyone using the same media at the same time. Again, we're running the Expando Chassis on the server so adding new storage will be as simple as daisy chaining Firewire drives in the future.

http://www.maxxdigital.com and they sell all manner of hard drives.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]