Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

Re: Apple Support Couldn't help..files won't open

COW Forums : Apple OS X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Kevin CampRe: Apple Support Couldn't help..files won't open
by on Jul 21, 2008 at 9:14:56 pm

this may sound a little odd, but have you tried to create a new user account...?

apple>system prefs, click the accounts icon. click the '+' button to add a new account (you may need to unlock the panel to make changes, just click the lock, enter an admin password if needed). give the new user the same rights as any user. then logon as the new user. see if ae will import the 'bad' quicktime files or open any ae projects that have 'bad' qt files that won't open.

i have seen a problem where on both macpros that i use where ae suddenly forgot it could open p2 files... (yes i had the 8.0.2 update)... it worked one day then just stopped working the next, and it happened at different times on two different macs. the only way i was able to get it back was to create a new user account. it seems taht something went really wrong with permissions and there was know way to get them back, like the os was saying the i (or ae) didn't have the right privileges to access the the importer file for that type of file. repair permissions did not help, but creating a new user did. maybe it will work for you too.

one thing, prior to creating a new user, if you have extra drives (other than the boot drive) select each of them in the finder and choose get info for each. inthe sharing permissions, set to ignor ownership for those drives, otherwise the new user may not be able to access files on those drives... other files ont he boot drive you may need to transfer over to the new user.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]