Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

Re: Changing startup disk

COW Forums : Apple OS X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Don GreeningRe: Changing startup disk
by on Apr 10, 2007 at 7:55:38 pm

Your G4 won't recognize any internal ATA hard drive space greater than 127.9 Mbytes no matter how big the drive really is. A few months ago I had to replace the secondary drive in my dual 800 G4 and bought a Maxtor 200 Gbyte ATA drive. The size result is what you see above.

Externally connected FW drives don't have this limitation, however. You can connect any size you want and its true size will be usuable, even in OS 9.2. Another route that may work is to get yourself a SATA PCI card (if someone still makes one for your G4) and buy one of those external drives that has the 4 way connection ports. LaCie and I believe G Tech make several. The connections will be FW 400 and 800, USB 2.0 and SATA. A SATA connection will be somewhat faster than FW 800 when connected to your dual 1Ghz G4. And as was pointed out above, you cannot create an external, bootable drive using only the USB connection.

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]