Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

Re: NTSC widely viewable across UK, AU, europe?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David MackenzieRe: NTSC widely viewable across UK, AU, europe?
by on Oct 18, 2008 at 5:09:44 pm

"I'm wondering, what do the American companies that have shows that are broadcast on television and then ported to DVD do? I suppose they use a super expensive hardware encoder like the one you mentioned? Or perhaps, they film in a format that makes for a better NTSC to Pal conversion?"

They'll likely feed to it to a converter such as the Snell Alchemist PhC. That, I believe, operates in one of two modes:

The Video mode is for video camera generated material or similar, that is, when both fields in the picture are not the same. It essentially "remaps time", if that makes sense, and uses motion vector technology to make sure the results are as accurate as possible.

The film mode recognises the original source is Film, performs an Inverse 3:2 pulldown routine (to get the NTSC 60i content back to 23.976fps) and simply speeds the film up to 25fps.

The software converters we have access to are most likely the older Field Blending type. These don't use motion vector technology but result in a picture with more motion blur.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]