Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Steadicam and Greenscreen

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Angelo LorenzoRe: Steadicam and Greenscreen
by on Aug 5, 2012 at 1:57:32 am

I disagree with John; I think he's picturing a set up that is FAR more ambitious than I do.

- Choosing flats over location, I think is more of an issue with set dressing. I'd place a green screen outside of either and do fine. If you shoot on location, you may want some additional lighting to bump up the green outside the windows if you're on the shadow side of the building. Green screen usually keys best if it spots +/- 1 stop from your ambient; this is assuming you're night lighting too high or low key.

- How big are these windows?

- I assume you'll be on a mix of lenses, so I would place tracking markers at two depths: I would put an orange tennis ball on a green pole about a foot outside the window, and I would put some dark green tape X's as tracking markers on the green screen and place it 6 + ft out from the window.

This set up won't allow for a really push-button key (you'll have to roto a bit) but having tracking markers at two different depths will help you track parallax. You could have foreground elements and then a background plate projected in the distance.

- Depending on how tight your tacking shot is, you can mask your actor out of the frame and run the camera move through a camera tracker. After Effects has some 3d camera tracking plugins available, Maya includes Match Mover (excellent, used it to insert 3d characters into live action footage for tv commercials), Synth Eyes, and so forth. You can use that move to track a camera over a background plate and then use that animation in the key.

This stuff is a bit difficult technically, but it's not wildly expensive. You rarely need motion control rigs for simple compositing like this.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS