Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Any tips for shooting from a Cessna plane?

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd TerryRe: Any tips for shooting from a Cessna plane?
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:30:09 am

Well, we're glad you got usable footage... but much more glad that everyone is now on the ground safely.

I hope in hindsight now that you've tried it that it doesn't seem like we were quite the "prognosticators of doom" that we might have appeared before the shoot.

I think the lesson to be taken from this is "compromise." If your director had continued to unwaveringly insist on the original gear (DSLR with a 70mm lens) and original shot plan (long continuous panoramic sweeping shot leading to a spiraling closeup of the talent), the cursing would probably still be going on. Fortunately you were able to radically upgrade your gear, overcrank to smooth the bumps, and change the edit so that short little shorts would work instead of one long one.

One bit of after-the-fact and now-useless advice... pilots tend to be a fairly fearless group (except me, I'm a pretty chicken pilot). If your pilot said you "cheated death" to get the shot... you can believe him. I wouldn't recommend doing that again, no shot on any project whatsoever is worth that. I've known a few who've taken that gamble an lost. And they don't let you play again.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]