Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Any tips for shooting from a Cessna plane?

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd TerryRe: Any tips for shooting from a Cessna plane?
by on Apr 3, 2012 at 2:23:45 pm

[Diego Barraza] "I plan to shoot at at least 8f stop and maybe 250th of a sec exposure."

Probably not the best choice. Shooting at that high a shutter speed is going to give you very choppy, strobby video. It's the equivalent of "narrow shutter" shooting in film, where the high shutter speed really freezes the action on every frame and you get that staccato look. That effect is usually used in action films where they want a scene to looks more, well, "actiony." Sometimes it works well ("Saving Private Ryan"), and sometimes it looks terrible ("Gladiator").

Your brain actually needs the motion blur to interpret the frames as smooth motion. I think sharp frames are only going to intensify the vibration and instability of the shot.

I'd more suggest shooting with a "normal" shutter if you want a smooth look.... that is, one that mimics a film camera shooting with a 180° shutter. If you are shooting 24fps, that exposure would be 1/48th of a second (or as near to that as your camera will allow. To get that number you basically just double your frame rate. The actual math is "one over twice the frame rate."

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]