Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Any tips for shooting from a Cessna plane?

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Angelo LorenzoRe: Any tips for shooting from a Cessna plane?
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 1:55:53 am

70mm lens or 700mm? Your typo makes it difficult for me to understand.

I do have to ask your decision making process for what I would consider an impractical shot. My first instinct, if there are resources near you, would be to pay to rent an RC camera helicopter and pay an operator. There are many small radio controlled helicopters that can handle the weight of a dSLR and afford you very dynamic shots.

I don't think filming with a 70mm lens would be terribly difficult for very short amounts of time (I've done 5-10 second shots hanging out the side of a chase car at 80mph, and I don't think a plain is much bumpier), what concerns me is that Cessna prop planes need to go about 90mph to stay safely aloft, and a 70mm lens would put you dangerously close to the ground.

If you meant a 700mm lens.. you're basically using a long lens with a doubler. The image quality goes down considerably, and most people will recommend a gyro head even on a tripod on the ground for lenses over 400-500mm for best performance.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]