Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Another boring "choose a basic camera!" thread.

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jonathan ZieglerRe: Another boring "choose a basic camera!" thread.
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 8:52:39 pm

Well, I consider any situation to be "low light" where your light is less than ideal and/or you should use artificial light (for effect, highlight, art, etc) or otherwise provide additional light. I don't like cranking up the gain (gain or grain). I'm imposing my personal feelings on the matter here, too. You can get some great lighting without a lot of cash, though, too. I'm a big DIY fan and I've used some nice cheap alternatives to 500W+ studio lights to avoid the dreaded gain grain like clamp lights with hi-Watt CFLs, bounces, LEDs, flashlights, GE broad spectrum bulbs (little 100W tungsten bulbs are great for fill), and the list goes on. Even an on-camera light can work for what you describe (remember on-camera lights are for light assistance not light replacement).

That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with available light as long as there's enough light available exactly where you want it at the settings you want or intend to use. ;)

And, since I'm on this subject: http://www.videomaker.com/learn/production/lighting/ - VideoMaker is a great resource for video learning and their Plus Membership is only $25 a year. You get loads of great stuff even without the paid membership, too. They have content geared towards the novice/amateur and the more experienced and/or professional guys, too. They have really embraced the online experience and seem to have a really good feel for the biz as it stands now.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]