Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: HDR Video

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd TerryRe: HDR Video
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 4:47:00 pm

I use Magic Bullet all the time (especially Magic Bullet Looks) and it's pretty great and powerful software... especially considering that it is not very expensive.

I'm not aware though of it being able to create something that really replicates HDR photography though... although it certainly can create some interesting looks that might be sufficient.

As you probably know, most HDR still photographs are created from at least three different exposures... and if you read the notes on some, you'll often find HDR photos that were made up of as many as a dozen different exposures... or more. Obviously the setup you mentioned using the two REDs and the beamsplitter was to get two simultaneous shots with different exposures.

BUT... in theory you could do this with just a single RED camera, as there are HDR programs that will take a single RAW image and split it into three different images of different exposures which are used to make the final HDR image. Most of the still HDR photos you see that are of static subjects (an object, or a building) were made with multiple exposures, but when you see an HDR "action" shot those were made with a single RAW image. The kicker, is that these are for stills. Doing it for motion footage is likely to be a fair bit more difficult. Apparently post production software that will allow you to take three different exposures of motion video does exist (because apparently people are doing it), but I'm not sure what that is. But again, yes in theory it can be done with a single RED shooting RAW. I would imagine that you would have to be very careful about nailing exposures right on the money, and it would probably be pretty darn complex and time consuming on the post side of things.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:
  • HDR Video by Anish Patel on Dec 27, 2010 at 5:25:56 am
    • Re: HDR Video by Micah McDowell on Dec 27, 2010 at 5:50:49 pm
      • Re: HDR Video by Kevin Cannon on Dec 27, 2010 at 9:08:14 pm
        • Re: HDR Video by Mark Suszko on Dec 31, 2010 at 11:55:24 pm
          • Re: HDR Video by Anish Patel on Jan 2, 2011 at 5:56:50 pm
            • Re: HDR Video by Mark Suszko on Jan 2, 2011 at 7:23:32 pm