Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Simple Starter Light Kit Suggestions Needed

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Peter DeCrescenzoRe: Simple Starter Light Kit Suggestions Needed
by on May 4, 2006 at 8:30:38 pm

Hi Matt: Just as an example -- and by no means the best example -- the link below is a slightly compressed JPEG frame from a interview I shot using my DSR-450WSL camcorder in its 4:3 60i mode on DVCAM:
http://www.sonic.net/~dweezil/richard_goldman.jpg

The subject is indoors and has his back to a clear glass window (no tinting, curtains, or nets), and late morning sunlight is visible outside the window.

The only interior artificial light source was one 575-watt HMI PAR (an old ARRI unit I rented) mounted in a "medium" 32"x24" softbox/Chimera. The face of the softbox was approx. 7' from the subject, about 3' above their eyeline, and slightly to the subject's right. Since the HMI light is daylight color balanced, I didn't need to add any gels to the light, and as a result the light level was maximized.

In addition to the HMI light, I also positioned a 48" diameter collapsible white reflector on the subject's left-front, angled toward his face. This caught both some of the window daylight and the HMI for fill.

Although this particular HMI light only draws 575-watts from the wall, it puts out a light level at least as bright as a 2,000-watt tungsten fixture. And as Tony & others mentioned, the light output is greatly diminished if you color-correct a tungsten light with a blue CTB gel.

Again, this is just one example of how an interior, daylight backlit scene can be handled. There are many different ways it might be done, and improved upon.

- Peter

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]