Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Lighting Control vs Lighting Fixtures

COW Forums : Lighting Design Pros

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jon FrostRe: Lighting Control vs Lighting Fixtures
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 8:56:02 pm

I so glad this thread has taken off.

I often work with students and it seems that many are not thinking about using scrims and the like that might come in their kits. Most often Lowel 3 or 4 light kits, but without all the suggested accessories. Imagine shooting without scrims, gel frames, etc.... So this is why I suggest that light control devices are another solution. The students seem to know about scrim kits and the occasional 36" silver/gold collapsable reflector.

I just wrapped on a student project shot below deck on the USS Salem in Quincy, MA. Picture 6-7' ceilings and all sorts of stuff hanging lower than ceiling height. one Tota omni light or maybe two. No soft box, no hair light, no flags, one reflector... They did have some gel sheets... you get the idea.

On the second day of shooting I brought my 18" x 24" Flag Kit and some 20" C-Stands with grip arms, and a Rifa 66 soft box w/ Lowel Pro light and some gel frames/gel.

What a difference having these few accessories made in shot lighting and shaping of the available lighting.

Thanks for all the insights... I hope the students out there are reading.

Namaste,

Jon Frost

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]