Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Travel Light Kit?

COW Forums : Lighting Design Pros

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mark SuszkoRe: Travel Light Kit?
by on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:29:45 pm

And I'd like a weekend with Heather Graham, a spray can of no-stick cooking oil, and an engine hoist, but the combination is about as attainable as your list, for that amount of money.:-)

You're asking for contradictory things: powerful instruments for lighting up a large space, also good for intimate interview work, but battery powered and light-weight, if possible, and easy to transport. You're asking for spots, floods, and a softlight in one thing. At least it's all apparently indoors.

LED is good for closeup work, cool-runing and thrifty on electricity, good with batteries, but lacks true punch to light up an entire room. Also still frequently has color temp issues on the cheaper instruments. The good ones are still pretty expensive for what I feel you get.

Daylight HMI can be gelled for indoor and still light up a large space well... but they are heavy, expensive, and eat gobs of electricity.

Tungsten Halogen I think is still a good balance between what LED or Flo's can do, and what HMI's can do, and relatively inexpensive, more so if you buy good used instruments.

Just how compactly "portable" do you need to be, anyway? And have you considered just renting a light kit locally in each city you travel to?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]