Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Lighting for the DSLR camera and the out of focus background on 20/20 last week

COW Forums : Lighting Design Pros

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill DavisRe: Lighting for the DSLR camera and the out of focus background on 20/20 last week
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 4:26:10 am

I do think the "shallow depth of field" look is still in vogue, and not just in video. It's also following the practices of the "large chip sensor" still shooters who are commonly using long lenses to limit light, open apertures, and compress depth of field even in outdoor daylight shots that would otherwise be tack sharp in a much wider range - and the propagation of this gear being carried more often is now defining what modern "imaging" looks like to the public in BOTH photos and video.

Here's an example from USA today last week.

I don't remember seeing "publicity" still shots like this all that often before.

And I think it's partially just the result of increasing sensor size geometry.

Remember, the 5d deal "as video camera" is just using a small part of the total sensor area. Imagine what will happen if the still cam processors follow Moores Law and they can eventually read the WHOLE sensor array fast enough for "full frame" motion video.

Those new aesthetic "possibilities" are going to change popular camera looks even farther - like it or not.

Shot by Stan Godlewski for USA Today.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/73vtnet

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]