Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Lighting for the DSLR camera and the out of focus background on 20/20 last week

COW Forums : Lighting Design Pros

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

john sharafRe: Lighting for the DSLR camera and the out of focus background on 20/20 last week
by on Dec 20, 2011 at 4:52:14 pm

Hi David,

While I shoot many interviews for ABC including those with Diane, Barbara and the rest of the cast, I did not shoot nor see the one you're referring to.

I do often use my F3's either for all three cameras, or more likely just for the wide shot(s). I do this primarily to fuzz up the background like (although probably not to the extent that) you describe.

We are able to fuzz up the backgrounds plenty in the closeups with 2/3" cameras (PDW700/800's) especially if there is some distance to the background. What I hope to accomplish with my F3's is to fuzz up the bg's in the wider shots to match, and in the process create a better continuity to the look and soften the cuts.

When we do soften the backgrounds in the closeups to the extent that you describe, hopefully the wide shots (and the DV camera b-roll) establishes the location or setting of the interview to the extent necessary to ground the pictures in reality.

Recent examples of my work like this (2/3" on CU's and F3 on wide shots) are the Tim Allen piece on 20/20, The Clint Eastwood/ Leonardo Decaprio, James Cameron, Jane Fonda interviews on Nightline, JD Martinez on the Katie Couric Special and Janet Jackson on GMA and Nightline (just last week). You can see all these pieces on the ABC News website.

JS

JS

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]