Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AVID:Avid Editing ForumAvid Editing TutorialsAvid Editing Basics ForumAvid Liquid ForumAvid Liquid TutorialsAvid VideoRAID ForumAvid

Re: Need instructions on backing up projects to DVD

COW Forums : AVID

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

MHancock (promoboy)Re: Need instructions on backing up projects to DVD
by on Mar 22, 2007 at 12:00:29 pm

If you're using OMF media only:

Step 1: Download MediaSift here. http://www.senkou.com It's a free media manager program.

Step 2: Read the help file and learn how this great, free media moving program works, including the difference between Copying, Sifting, and Moving Projects.

Overview of what you'll need to do after reading the manual:

This program can take all the media from each of your projects and put it into a folder named after each project.

For example, you have a project called BigProduction01. It will take every piece of media associated with BigProduction01 and put it in a folder called BigProduction01. Now you can copy the BigProduction01 Avid Project folder to the BigProduction01 folder and make a data DVD. If there's too much media for the DVD, make a few DVDs. I have some projects that span 8 DVDs. Fun times.

When you need your project again, pop the DVD in, copy all the media from the BigProduction01 folder of the DVD to the OMFI MediaFiles folder of your hard drive. IMPORTANT: After you copy the media off the DVD you must select all of the copied media, right click, uncheck the Read Only box, hit Apply, OK. I've had problems with Avid trying to access the media when the media was still Read Only. It will give you an error. This is an important step, don't forget to do it.

After you've copied the media delete the database files of your OMFI MediaFiles folder. Copy the BigProduction01 project folder to your Avid Projects folder on your hard drive, right click and uncheck the Read Only box, Apply, OK. Again, important step. Don't forget to do it.

Start Avid. It will recognize your project, scan and index your media drive, relink your media and you're back in business.

Have fun! If you're working with MXF footage use MDV, found here: http://fiool.nm.ru/progz/ The site is Russian, the program is English. It's another free media mover program that can do basically the same thing as MediaSift but on steroids. I use MDV for media deletion, MediaSift for backup. Your choice.

Another option, when you're finished, is to duplicate then consolidate your final master sequence. This will make new clips of only the media you used in that sequence, plus handles. You can now back up just the consolidated media and your project files--it will take up a lot less space, but if you have to make changes you won't have all the original media you captured--just the media you used in your sequence. I use consolidate when doing half hour shows because they span several DVDs. For promotions/commercials, I just copy the entire project.

Mike.

PS. If you really want to get involved and start managing your media before you even start, you can use virtual drives so that all of your media from a project is copied directly into a folder named for that project. Then, when you're done, you can skip the MediaSift/MDV step and just back up that folder. Let me know if you want more info on virtual drives. They take some getting used to and discipline so you don't capture to the wrong drive, but they're pretty cool.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]