Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ZAXWERKS:Zaxwerks ForumZaxwerks TutorialsZaxwerks

Re: Exporting .obj files

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brent WillettRe: Exporting .obj files
by on Jul 23, 2012 at 2:45:24 pm

Hi Zax. Thank you for the reply (and Ed to). You guys are always so good with customer service, and it is always greatly appreciated.

Yes, that is true about the obj models coming in white and that you still have to assign the textures inside of Element. The kicker is that the models come in as one piece, unless they already have different textures assigned to them. Andrew Kramer explains in his tutorials that Element automatically recognizes pieces of an obj file that have different textures, and separates out the model into different pieces accordingly. If the obj doesn't already have different textures associated with different parts, it comes in as one piece. And there doesn't appear to be any way to separate the parts once they are inside of Element to be able to assign them separate materials.

One way around this is to save each part as a separate obj file and import each one into Element, but the problem there is that Element automatically normalizes the size of the object. So if I'm bringing in different parts of a logo, I have to do a lot of messing around to get the separate pieces in the right place. The same problem happens if I build it from scratch using masks on AE layers.

So that's why I was wondering if there was a step that I was missing in exporting an obj from ProAnimator that would keep the texture maps associated with the individual parts of the file.

Once again. Thanks for your time and your continued attention to your customers. You guys are the best!

Brent

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]