Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

Re: working with HD footage in Media 100 and After Effects

COW Forums : Media 100

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Robert SlenkerRe: working with HD footage in Media 100 and After Effects
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 1:38:46 pm

Hi guys!

Sorry for the delay in responding this week. I've been playing with this a little throughout the week when I've had time...taking notes and such regarding my trials and errors.

Here's what I'm having a problem with
:
As stated in my original post, sending P2 footage (720p, 59.94fps) out of Media 100 Suite to After Effects is no problem. The footage looks exactly like it should in AE but when I export it back out of AE to bring it back into Media 100 Suite, it's more saturated.

Now, per your advice I tried simply opening the raw .MXF files in AE then rendering them, and importing them in Media 100 Suite. They look fine.

Regarding exporting out of Media 100, I've tried exporting as "By Ref" and as "Source", as well as exporting via Media 100's "for After Effects" option. Again, all these exports look good when opened in AE.

In rendering out of AE, I'm doing Make Comp>Best Settings, Output Module: Custom>Quicktime, DVCPRO HD 720p60, 59.94 (also tried one as Media100 HD, 59.94 but DVCPRO HD is my codec used in Media100.)

To import in back into Media100, I'm doing Import>Files>Media100/QT, Fit To Video, Honor File's Aspect Ratio, Media standard=720p 59.94, Codec=DVCPRO HD 720p, 60p 50mbps, import to media standard.

frame exported from timeline (P2 imported to Media 100 Suite):

frame back from AE in Media100
:

Now a couple of odd things regarding AE:
You may see previously I asked about correct comp size. Reason being is that when my raw .mxf files are in my source bin, AE says their frame size is 960x720. If I drag one of them down to a new comp, it makes a 960x720 comp. Obviously, it needs to be 1280x720.
My files exported from Media 100 for some reason are larger in frame size. As I said, early on, in trying to figure out what comp size to make, I came up with 1535x720 to have it fill a comp window. Weird, eh?

Now, I am not in a panic trying to complete a project. I'm simply planning to start one and this will be my first attempt at doing an entire project shot in 720p. Until now, I've only worked with SD...with no problems at all going back and forth between Media100 and AE. I just wanted to do some tests to develop a workflow and wondered if anyone had experienced this before.

You can see the difference in these stills is minimal but the difference is more severe on my monitors (skin tones and shirt being more reddish.) I'm also wanting to play with Magic Bullet Suite a bit and need to know my tweaks will be accurate once back in Media100.

The final product will be for DVD and web (~10min recruitment video for my university.)

Thanks in advance.
BOB

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]