Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AUTODESK:Autodesk Smoke ForumAutodesk CombustionAutodesk Smoke 2013

Re: The SuperApp? A current Smoke user's take...

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke 2013

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David JahnsRe: The SuperApp? A current Smoke user's take...
by on May 3, 2012 at 3:18:59 pm

Hi Robert - we seem to be on the same wavelength for lots of things lately, eh?

Regarding Smoke 2013 - I do think people would prefer an all-in-one solution. I think Autodesk's potential stumbling block with it that expectations are so high, and like you have said, there are many tools that do one specific thing very well, and I think people may be disappointed that Smoke doesn't do ALL of them better than anything else.

In my opinion that's a completley unrealistic expectation - the "everything tool" can't be the absolute best at everything - but it can be pretty damn good at everything, and I think Smoke is.

Is it a better compositing tool than Nuke?
Is it a better tracker than Mocha?
Is it better at Grading than Resolve?
Is it a better editor than Media Composer?

The answer is no to all of these things. And you have all of the time in the world, why not use the best tool for each task? But if I have a 4 hour client supervised session for a TV finish that has to do all of these things and create HD & SD tape masters before the Fedex pickup - it is absolutely the tool that I want to be using - even when it was $15k. (Yeah, we still deliver tape masters for broadcast. Solid, stable, difficult to screw it up on the other end - gamma shifts, field orders, etc.. we seen a lot of errors in the digital delivery pipeline)

Plus - who is really an expert at ALL of those tools? And is it justifyable to spend $10k on software for every room in a facility? And trying to configure a system with the right graphic cards, OS versions, Video cards, etc. that work for all of those apps? It's not easy.

Add all of this up and I think that's a big reason people are so psyched up about Smoke 2013. I just think there may be a bit of disappointment when the reality kicks in, and they realize it's not THE BEST at every one of its tasks. And, there's still quite a learning curve once you get into Action & Connect FX.

So it will be interesting to see the ratio of trial versions downloads to sales this fall.

Although I gotta say that for those people that get deep enough into using CONNECT FX, it will be hard to go back to life without it.

David Jahns
---
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy