Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Avid Symphony? Not in the same league?

COW Forums : DaVinci Basics & Configuration

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Josh PetokRe: Avid Symphony? Not in the same league?
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:28:06 pm

[Ben Rojas] " the editing side of things has always been cumbersome... That however may change next week!"

Ben, you've hit on the one point that keeps Symphony around in my opinion. Being able to do the work IN the NLE is their saving grace. I also hope come Monday morning, that will all change.

For me, it is less of a technical issue than it is a political one. There's an editor, Rob Ashe, who has a really great quote that goes something like this:

Boss: What software do you edit with?
Editor: The one you have.

I use Symphony because the company I'm currently with decided to invest in it 7 years ago. They want to make sure they've paid for their investment. Are there things that it's lacking? YES, YES, and YES. But the shows that I'm working on still go out on time, look good and are on budget. That is their main concern. Symphony is what they've always used and they're comfortable with it. I can use the software well, but if I was given the choice, would I recommend it? No.

At other jobs that I'm at, they don't own their systems. They rent them, and they rent Symphony. I have yet to see a vendor that rents a full blown Resolve system yet (If there are any in the LA area, please let me know!). From what I am told, they do not have the technical resources to support it or the talent pool to run them. I'm not sure I completely agree with that, but that's what I have heard.

It seems likely that a lot of people will use the Baselight plugin for Avid as it solves many complaints. However, I'm not sure how well it works or how long it will take to render. You also lose the benefit of Symphony's real time playback, relational color corrector and sequence color merging, which is a time saver for many people.

We are definitely at the crossroads just before NAB 2012. It's too early to make any decisions. In a perfect world, I would love it if Blackmagic bought Avid, killed Symphony and highly integrated Resolve. Is that too much to ask?? ;)

Josh Petok
Online | Color
JoshPetok.com
TheCurrentCut.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy