Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: FCX sometimes very slow

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill DavisRe: FCX sometimes very slow
by on Apr 2, 2012 at 4:05:12 am

[Joost Boekhoven] "I have been often quite annoyed with the habit of the program to freeze for seconds or much longer, showing the spinning ball, while there is no apparent cause; I haven't given it anything to do except position the playhead somewhere, and there's no rendering going on. "

The key word is "apparent"

Just because you don't know what X is doing - doesn't mean it's not doing something.

I've come to see the program a little bit like a hotel. There's lots going on all the time. But during down times, folks run out and vacuum, sweep, fold sheets, and generally keep the place in order.

I"ve hit stretches with a whole lot of spinning beach balls and frustration. Then a couple of days later, hardly any. Clearly there were things happening under the hood that I didn't understand, but that the program needed to accomplish in order to keep it's metadata flow organized.

After a while, I started getting hints of when the things I did screwed up the housekeeping.

Essentialy I've had to "mature" as an X user and not act like a teenager leaving my clothes and shoes everywhere and expecting the program to clean up under the hood no matter what I did.

Looking back , it's a lot like operating Legacy version 1 or 2. Things would go well, then problems would pop up. Eventually all the problems disappeared and we were left with a superb video editing program.

Hopefully, we're on that path again, but it's still early days.

Essentially the more I"ve come to understand the rules, the less the program "fights me".

Not perfect - but better now than 4 months ago by leaps and bounds for me.

And the payoffs are starting to really show up as my event library keeps growing and I have access to more and more by way of raw materials for building all my future videos.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]