Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Importing and maintaining folders within Original Media

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Eric SchoonoverImporting and maintaining folders within Original Media
by on Apr 1, 2012 at 10:58:17 pm

My work had us switch over to FCP X this past week, and while there are some great things, I'm still trying to figure a couple of the basics out.

My main issue I'm having right now is maintaining a file structure within the Original Media folder. In Finder, we keep all our media pretty organized in various folders (photos, graphics, broll, etc...). Since our projects tend to have a lot of items, I really want to maintain the folder structure, so if we need to find something, I am not digging through a never ending list in the Original Media folder that Final Cut creates.

However, I have not quite figured out how to get around FCP X copying everything to the base folder. For example, I have an event created with my Original Media folder in place. I place a folder titled Powerpoint into the Original Media folder that contains all my images. I then go to FCP X, import files and choose the Powerpoint folder. I make sure "Copy Files to Final Cut Events Folder" is not selected (both in preferences and during the Import dialogue box), but do choose "Import folders as keyword collections" selected. I import my folder and the media shows up in FCP X fine. However, when I go back to the finder, all my files have been moved from the Powerpoint folder to the Original Media folder. If I move it back and reconnect the media, the files get moved back to the root folder.

Getting really frustrated and know I must be missing something really basic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]