Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Live video switching between 3 channels during playback (for a music video)

COW Forums : Apple FCPX Techniques

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill DavisRe: Live video switching between 3 channels during playback (for a music video)
by on May 10, 2012 at 12:27:53 am

[Andy Neil] "Heck, you can even cut up a take and spread it out over a single angle to account for differences in performance.

Multiclip editing is still the easiest way to do this."

Maybe I'm just overly sensitive about this since I'm working on a 12 camera Jazz performance video right now, but time and tempo are, in my view, the very essence of any music performance.

If you simply stack up three different performances - even of the same tune - I'd think that at every single cut, you'd run into the potential to have either the music track or the visual presentation out of sync.

You could cut from both the audio and video of take 1 to the same place in "take 2" but if the performance tempo is off between those takes - and I suspect it will be through human variation - you're going to risk at least a fractional jump cut and the need to trim at every single edit - unless the performance is keyed to a click track or some other time synchronization.

Maybe this isn't important in the type of performance the OP is posting. And I can accept that.

But in my world right now cutting jazz performance, the GOPro shots of the jazz drummers pedal work have to be absolutely and precisely "in time" with the music being both seen and heard or I'm not doing my job properly. And I can't fathom how you can do that if you've recorded three totally separate performances and want the visual of Take 1 measure 20 to align with the sounds recorded during Take 3 measure 20.

But maybe I simply don't understand this well enough.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]