Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: The Magnetic Timeline – What’s The Paradigm? On Clips and Tracks

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris KennyRe: The Magnetic Timeline – What’s The Paradigm? On Clips and Tracks
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 4:35:54 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I don't see how the "track model" is based on anything but how clips relate to one another; FCPX continues in this continuity."

With the track model, clip relationships are only implied by where clips fall in time. Put a cutaway on V2. It's probably timed in relationship to something that happens in a shot on V1, right? But a track-based NLE doesn't know that. All it knows is that there are a bunch of shots on V1 that start and end at specific time indexes, and now there's this shot on V2 that starts and ends at specific time indexes.

FCP X allows for the explicit representation of relationships between clips on different 'tracks' via clip connections, and the explicit representation of relationships between clips on the same track via storylines.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "When you write "timed to …" I suspect you are trying to describe something else - maybe "triggered in reference to" or a similar concept. This is a very useful idea and a welcome addition to tools in timelines. In agreement with other comments, I don't see how this requires a "trackless model". We may well see similar tools coming in other NLEs.
"

If you keep tracks around, your sequences have two basic organizational principles interacting with each other in various ways that aren't necessarily going to make sense. For instance, the connection-based model implies one thing about what to do in the case of clip collisions (overlap clips, which is displayed by showing them layered in vertical space), while the track-based model implies another behavior (overwrite, because the new clip is explicitly being placed into the same 'slot' occupied by the old one).

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]