Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: The Magnetic Timeline What's The Paradigm?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew RichardsRe: The Magnetic Timeline What's The Paradigm?
by on Jul 8, 2011 at 2:22:13 pm

[Paul Dickin] "In the new scheme of things the GUI could be released from such inflexibilities. In what way the interface should best be developed is what needs our attention :-)
In my view staying the same as it has been is a retrograde option."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing against the Magnetic Timeline or suggesting it isn't an effective visualization of an edit. I'm just pointing out AVFoundation isn't the reason for the Magnetic Timeline. If Apple were so inclined, they could add "views" to the Magnetic Timeline that would morph the presentation into different patterns. For instance, I submitted a Feedback asking for one where the audio, once it can be tagged with metadata for output, is collapsed a la Compound Clips into however many discreet channels are defined for the sequence- all with one click. This would aid in QC, master mixing, and so on.

[Paul Dickin] "Playing at a constant frame rate is only mandated by the broadcasting chain, and the inflexibility of tape technology. Doesn't mean that a modern-looking NLE should be limited so as not to be flexible enough to deal with future distribution technologies."

I'd argue time-based media needs a set cadence, but that is another discussion. Even FCPX requires you to pick a FPS setting for any given timeline. What you're describing is actually much more like the old QuickTime's event-based media framework, where any set cadence is essentially a workaround. This is why the old FCP in its early versions had so many sync drift issues.

Best,
Andy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]