Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: So who is the best candidate?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Adam Claude JonesRe: So who is the best candidate?
by on Jun 24, 2011 at 10:10:49 pm

Hi Ivan!
You're absolutely right. It's much more productive to focus on the topic in question. :)

- If you want to edit native you go with Premiere (AMA is not quite there)

By AMA did you mean AMC (Avid Media Composer)? If so can't avid edit DPX natively? Or you have to convert to DNxHD? What about XDCAM, DSLR, TIFFs and maybe even Open EXR? What about Cineform and RED?

- If you don't mind transcoding and you want best media management, you'll choose Avid

Given that I work mainly with long form and narrative media management is a MUST. So Premiere's media management still sucks at CS5?
How much transcoding are we talking about in Avid?

- if you want multiple editors working and sharing the same project, again Avid

This is sometimes required. But not all the time. But it's definitely a plus.

- if AE, PS, AI are important part of your workflow - Premiere

Not at all. I do not have and have no intention of buying or using any of that. With the exception of Photoshop but when I need I have a guy who works on it for me. But I guess any program these days can work with PSD layers.
Nuke and Fusion can so the chances that I would have to directly work with them is low. They would come to me inside a compositing and already in DPX or TIFFs.

- for VFX (Nuke), you are always sending DPX or TIFF files (uncompressed file sequence), both can do that

Great!

Finishing / CC is a bit longer story (probably too long for this post), but you can send EDL / AAF from both applications. Question is what formats finishing/CC application supports.
At the end of a day both applications will get you there

No,no. Not too long at all for this thread. ;)
A very important consideration.
So please do elaborate if you can.

Thanks!

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]