Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Tape is dead ???

COW Forums : Decks & VTRs

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: Tape is dead ???
by on Jul 5, 2012 at 12:47:46 am

[Michael Gissing] "Until the EDL is dead we still need reels. That you can use reels to refer to folders of tapeless files is useful and it means EDLs, our last great hope for system to system transfer can live on.

Tape will be long gone but I suspect reels may survive, even if as a novelty way to describe folders, cards, SSDs etc."

Of course. That's why I said it needs to be redefined, it could point to an actual file, and the files physical location on a hard drive/SAN/server would not matter. A file structure can and will change over the course of it's useful life. A more modern reel naming system will help keep track of the files, as well as, tc and other metadata, even file name, but file name isn't even unique enough.

Like this:

themodernreel.png

This is a unique ID of a p2 file (generated by an XML send to fcp7). I can copy and paste this in to spotlight and find the file. It's not pretty but it's highly accurate.

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]