Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: A recap of the recaps

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: A recap of the recaps
by on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:49:51 am

[Neil Goodman] "i def do care.. I'm an editor, the more tools the better, and im not one of those guys hoping for it to fail..thats why i was asking, not to flame bait or whatever...not too mention i payed for it, so yea eventually id like to get my 300 bucks worth ;) I have a full time Avid gig, but i also do a ton of freelance, which is why i got into Final Cut in the first place. In the event someone asks me to cut on FCP-X you can bet I'm not gonna turn down the job if there paying my rate. Right now i feel like i can cut something in it, IF i had too, but not in the way that i typically cut, which is inevitably what i want. "

Yeah, it's different, and if it offers no advantage to you, maybe there's no reason to learn it as it might just be that goofy, I don't know, it's a personal preference.

There are some things that are completely missing. A good multitrack audio workflow is a big one for me, but they say it's coming. A viewer for matching is pretty big, but my guess is that it will be selectable (like the multicam viewer is now) and that will be good. Better trimming window feedback would help. It's already there, but only when you use a mouse. The trimming "two up" view does not work with keyboard trimming. There's a few things that aren't there, and there's definitely some things that are too simplistic at this point.

But.

There's a lot that is, and it does work a little bit differently. I can't tell you if you'll like it, but I wouldn't try and make it work like Avid or it just won't work.

As far as training, there's a ton. I like Ripple Training, but there's a lot of others. Lynda Training and Larry Jordan are others.

What I like to do is mess around in fcpx's superior keyboard editor. You can search by terms, like "trim", you can press a key on the virtual keyboard and it will show you what it does along with all modifiers. You can also search by keystroke, and by category (like "editing" or "marking"). It takes time, it's not the most "see/say" way of learning, but it does allow me to learn the terms, and also informs me of what's possible and then I go and try and test it out. It's truly poking around.

I have no idea how you work or way you need to do, but organization is big for me, so that's where I started.

Then I moved to the timeline and all that goes with it. Again, I don't want tell you what to do, but editing with the position tool on all the time helps to keep things in place while you learn how the timeline moves, hold the 'a' (arrow) key to use ripple when you need it.

The color board is different, but I have to say, I really enjoy the quality I get from it, even if it bucks color wheel science.

There's a lot of fit and finish yet to be done, so you kind of have to go in with an open mind, don't try and force it to be Avid, you will be able to decide if it's worth it or not. It might not be, but personally I'm sticking around for a bit to see what happens. Fcs3 is still working for now.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]