Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Intel Xeon Phi in 2013 f/WSJ

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris HarlanRe: Intel Xeon Phi in 2013 f/WSJ
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 2:46:20 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'd imagine to be around the cost of a good GPU if that's the market they are chasing.
"

This is interesting. These folks put together a Tesla GPU workstation and have a config tool.

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?sr=0&iid=194&gclid=CMvD47_i27ACFWLk...

11 or 12 grand is the starting price for a system with two Tesla Fermi Processors, which they price out at 2 grand each. 16 GPUs brings the system to 25 grand. And that is with an 8 meg video card.

Give it a real video card, top out the ram (288) and the available Xeons and you are looking at 37 grand. Not bad for a supercomputer. My guess is that the Intel cards--which apparently blow the Fermis away--will be in the same ballpark, but a tad pricier. So my guess is that a starter machine will run between 15 and 20 grand and a sizzle-core-eating top-of-the-liner will come in around 50 or 60 grand. Still, that would be an amazing amount of calculation power for under 100 grand. Now, if we can only get that into a tablet.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]