Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: New Mac Pro -- will you buy?

COW Forums : ToolsOnAir

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: New Mac Pro -- will you buy?
by on Jun 6, 2012 at 12:58:39 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Sidebar -- let's say there's some new Mac Pro sizzle core action days away from release. Who here will place an order immediately? Who here used to buy Mac Pros, but will now stick with iMacs or MBPs instead"

It's rather dependent on specs, if Cuda is going to happen for real, if openCL is going to be further supported on beefier AMDs.

I, personally, am going to need the fastest mobile system I can get in the coming months. I am going to embrace Thunderbolt in a short time here, I think, so I imagine a laptop is in my future. If the new WWDC laptops prove weird, then I'll just get the fastest 17" available.

After the brief hiatus from the office, upon return, we'll have to huddle up and take a knee. We are still undecided on our post fcs3 future so there's really no fantastic reason to order on day zero, but we will have to soon to start the next phase.

There needs to be a function and reliability update to fcpx or two, Smoke will get a good testing, cs6 will work better with a new laptop and hopefully the new macs will allow better desktop performance by text hack or otherwise, but honestly the media management isn't where we need it be and it's a shame as I like cs6.

I don't need multiple GPUs and Raid cards, one of each is fine. I do need fibre channel though, and as of today the ATTO thunderbolt to fibre cards aren't here yet. I do believe there's a sanLINK one, but I'd rather stick with ATTO as they have proven themselves to me consistently over the years.

So right now, let's say if we went all iMacs (which I don't think we will, but if) it pretty much renders the SAN to a LAN. That's not as fun as fibre. :)

If the new MacPro's have legit PCIe, then it will just be a card swap. I am really hoping for a more rack friendly design, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

It will be interesting to see what actually is released and at that point, all of us can legitimately move on to what's next. Tim Wilson, I'd throw a few duckets in the Techniques forum, too. ;)

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]