Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy NeilRe: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?
by on May 29, 2012 at 4:14:12 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Just to elaborate, once I'm past the assembly stage I never use linked clips. Even with linking on, after you cut a clip into different multicam angles only the first cut stays linked to the longer audio underneath. I can't imagine a scenario where it is useful to keep that sort of L cut linked, and it's a PITA when you want to add a video dissolve and now suddenly you have an audio dissolve as well"

Just to keep with Jeremy's FCP7 tips: There are a series of shortcuts that I use all the time with linked clips. If I select the edit point of a linked clip (selecting both audio and video edit points) but I only want to add a video transition, I use the shortcut CTL+SHIFT+1 and FCP applies the first video transition that exists in your favorites folder to the edit point. Since it's only a video transition, no audio transition is added. You can also replace the "1" with Q, A, or Z to place the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th video transition in your favorites folder at the edit point.

How I often use this: I have 3 basic dissolves of various lengths in my favorites folder (10 fr, 25 fr, 45 fr) which I use all the time. I name them: video 10, video 25, video 45 accordingly. Because FCP organizes favorites alphabetically, I know that video 10 is the top video transition in my favorites. So to add a 10 frame dissolve, even with a linked clip, I hit CTL+SHIFT+1. To add a 45fr dissolve, I hit CTL+SHIFT+A (3rd favorite).

There are also similar shortcuts for favorite audio transitions, video filters and audio filters.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]