Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Premiere and After Effects 6.01 updates released

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew RichardsRe: Premiere and After Effects 6.01 updates released
by on May 25, 2012 at 7:53:52 pm

[Gary Huff] "Adobe really dropped the ball here. They should have been as forward thinking as Apple was in releasing their apps on the App Store, so that they could follow a quick patching schedule like FCPX."

Yeah, Apple tried to float release schedule improvements as the big advantage of the App Store. Of course that is baloney since we've had downloadable patches for years. What isn't baloney is what they get out of the App Store EULA, and that is being allowed to incrementally add major features without having to release a major version update. That point was extracted during one of the NAB private briefings (I forget who coaxed that out of them, Oliver maybe?). There are Sarbanes-Oxley rules about how public companies are allowed to account for and deliver significant feature updates to existing products (as I understand it), and by starting over with FCPX on the App Store, Apple gets a clean slate without the baggage of prior EULAs for their traditional-channel software. Maybe they could write a new EULA for a new box version, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I recall reading that licensing flexibility was a big factor in their exclusive App Store distribution strategy.

If Adobe starts adding in major features in minor updates to CS6, then sod it, the whole App Store advantage trope is bollocks.

Best,
Andy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]