Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: After a year has perception of FCPX changed?
by on May 23, 2012 at 5:39:54 am

[Bill Davis] "Hi Walter!"

Howdy, Bill. Many thanks for your kind words here, as well as for meeting up with me, Moody, and Jeff at NAB. It was really great to shake hands, put faces with names, and get to know one another better.

[Bill Davis] "I remember the UVW 1800! One of my early clients gave me one so that I could narrate their local Real Estate show for local TV show using it. I remember it was very finicky as to Sync, and it took me a week to figure out a way to fake a black burst signal so the damn thing would record as a standalone unit!"

The UVW-1800 lacked the feature set of the gold standard BVW-75, but it also lacked the price tag, putting deck ownership in the range of motivated individuals instead of just facilities. In my mind, this was the first shot of what became known as the DV revolution, but which was really just our niche's segment of the good-enough revolution [link], where "broadcast quality" softened to "broadcast format" before dissolving altogether. Vilfredo Pareto [link] is one tenacious bastard.

I think the VX1000 and FCP v1 just followed in the UVW-1800's footsteps, and I think FCPX is the evolutionary continuation of that trend.

[Bill Davis] "And by all means please keep pushing me on the places where you see things differently."

I think most of the times we disagree are precisely because we see things differently. Among the contributors on this forum, there's huge diversity in perspective, because there's huge diversity in market, specialty, input, work product, skill set, business structure, budget, schedule, partners, and clients.

Since you, Aindreas, Andrew, Chris, Craig, David, Jeremy, Jules, Lance, Michael, Steve, Tony, and I all do such different work (along with the host of other contributors and readers here), it shouldn't come as a surprise that we all see something different when we look at FCPX.

What's more surprising to me, in retrospect, was that we all saw something so similar when we looked at FCP7.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter